Posted on January 20, 2021 13:14
A Joint programme for GES assessment on D11- noise in the Mediterranean Marine Region
The QUIETMED2 project aims to support Member States Competent Authorities in the Assessment of the extent to which GES on Descriptor 11 - Underwater noise has been achieved in the Mediterranean Region by providing practical outcomes to implement the new GES Decision through:
- A joint proposal of a candidate for an impulsive noise indicator in the Mediterranean Region.
- A common methodology for Competent Authorities to establish threshold values, together with associated lists of elements and integration rules.
- A data and information tool to support the implementation of the monitoring programmes of impact of impulsive noise based on the current ACCOBAMS joint register which will be demonstrated on.
- An operational pilot of the tool.
- Several activities to boost current regional cooperation efforts of the Barcelona Convention developing new Mediterranean Region cooperation measures.
The consortium of QUIETMED 2 project is made up of 11 entities from 10 different countries (Spain, Italy, Malta, Greece, Cyprus, Croatia, Monaco, Slovenia, Tynisia and Denmark).
The consortium includes ICES, association that provides scientific and advisory services of relevance for the ongoing implementation of the EU Marine Strategy Framework Directive, ACCOBAMS which has been appointed by the Secretariat of the Barcelona Convention (UNEP/MAP) to develop a basin-wide strategy for underwater noise monitoring in the Mediterranean. RAC/SPA (UNEP/MAP) has also joined the consortium as an expert in biodiversity and protected areas and as a representative of Mediterranean non-European countries.
The project has a duration of 24 months starting on February 2019.
The QUIETMED2 project aims to enhance cooperation among Member States in the Mediterranean Sea Region to implement the Second Cycle of the Marine Directive and in particular to assist them in the preparation of their MSFD reports through the following specific objectives:
· Develop and implement a candidate impact indicator in the Mediterranean Region for D11C1 Criteria.
· Make a joint proposal of a methodology to establish threshold values, list of elements and integration rules to implement the GES decision in reference to D11C1 in the Mediterranean Region.
· Build an efficient data and information tool to support the implementation of the D11C1 Criteria and the update of the monitoring programmes of Impulsive Noise according the new GES Decision.
· Perform an operational pilot of an impulsive noise impact monitoring programme implemented with the updated Joint register to demonstrate its feasibility.
· Promote Mediterranean Region Coordination by i) boosting current regional cooperation efforts of Barcelona Convention and others and ii) developing new cooperation measures.
· Enhance collaboration among a wide network of stakeholders through the dissemination of the project results, knowledge share and networking.